View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2008, 16:57
Acting Moderator

Default Re: Pursuing Knowledge

Question: I have a strong desire to travel to seek knowledge but my wife does not want to go because she has children from a previous marriage and she does not wish to travel with me so can I travel without her?

Answer: It is waajib upon him to seek knowledge which is mandatory to learn; it is waajib upon him to seek knowledge which is Fard `Ayn upon him; and his wife has no right to stop him from seeking that knowledge which is mandatory for him to learn.

He may travel with her and both of them may seek knowledge, and if she refrains from travelling with him then he may divorce her and travel alone to seek knowledge or if it is easier or facilitated for him to get married to someone who will travel with him, then no doubt this is better and complete, and Allaah سبحانه وتعالى says:

وَمَن يَتَّقِ اللَّهَ يَجْعَل لَّهُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِ يُسْراً

{...and whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him.} [at-Talaaq 65:4]

Answered by: Shaykh Abdullah Al Ghuydaan

Title of lecture: Question and answer session

Date of Lecture: 10 November 2007

Listen to the lecture: Click here

Read transcribed lecture: Click here

Quote:
IMPORTANT POINT:

The Shaykh حفظه الله said he may divorce his wife ONLY if she stops him from seeking knowledge which is Fard `Ayn (i.e. knowledge which is obligatory for him to learn).

For a brief explanation of the knowledge which is considered Fard `Ayn you may refer to Question #3 answered during the session on April 1, 2006 - The Four Principles explained by Shaykh al-Ghudyaan.