View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:21
Senior Moderator

Default Re: Du'aa, Tawbah & Athkaar (Supplication, Repentance and Remembrances)

Question: If a person has an overwhelming feeling of sadness thinking of a past sin that they have committed and for which they have made taubah to Allaah many times, but still feel that they needs to continue to ask Allaah for forgiveness. Do they continue making taubah to Allaah repeatedly until this feeling is gone or is there some other format they need to do following the Sunnah?

Answer: With respect to this individual if the sin that he has committed is in regard to the rights due to Allaah سبحانه و تعالى he should give up the sin, he should feel sad about it, and he should make up his mind never to return to that sin again. These are the conditions of taubah - if they are in place then his taubah is correct. As for him transgressing on the rights of some other human being - if it is pertaining to money or his wealth then he should return this wealth to him, if it refers to his honor then he should try and pardon him. If he is pardoned then in addition to that he should supplicate for this individual in the places where he spoke badly about him or transgressed his honor. If this does not happen then the Judgment and the Decree of this will be with Allaah سبحانه و تعالى who says in the Qur'aan:

قُلْ يَا عِبَادِيَ الَّذِينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلَى أَنفُسِهِمْ لَا تَقْنَطُوا مِن رَّحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَمِيعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحِيمُ
{Say: "O 'Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.} [Az-Zumar 39:53]

Also, Allaah سبحانه و تعالى said in a hadith Qudsi: "I am as my servants thinks about Me." [1] So a person should think that his repentance has been accepted and that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has forgiven him.

Answered by: Shaykh Abdullaah Abdur-Rahmaan Al-Ghudyaan

Title of Lecture: The Four Principles by Muhammed Ibn Abdul-Wahhaab رحمه الله Class #2

Date of the Lecture: March 19, 2005

Listen to Lecture: Click Here (Class #2)

Read the Transcribed Lecture: Click Here

[1]Saheeh al-Buhkaari - Kitaab at-Tawheed #6970, 7066 from Abu Hurayrah with the wording:

قَالَ اللَّهُ أَنَا عِنْدَ ظَنِّ عَبْدِي بِي